Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Vacation...

Last week I had the privilege of taking my family away for a week to the beach for vacation. It was a much needed rest for us and a wonderful break. If you don't like being around a lot of people I highly recommend going the week before Labor Day. It was a ghost town.

Had a lot of time to think...process...pray. It's amazing what God can do in your life when you stop and rest and allow him to speak to you. One day I actually floated out on a raft for about an hour in the ocean (the kids thought Daddy was headed to Mexico). It was one of the best prayer times I have had in a while. I know...I wasn't in a "prayer closet", but it still rocked.

Anyway, thought I would share a few of the reflections I had while I was down there.

* When God speaks of a day of rest and worship...He means it. Maybe we need to listen to Him more about REALLY stopping each week to allow our bodies, minds and spirits to be rested and refreshed.

* Stress can ruin you. It's amazing how NICE we all can be by removing a little stress from our lives. Get rid of the stress and "cast all of our cares on HIM". He's man enough to handle them! It will change your life.

* Family time is a lost art. Sure, we can justify our crazy schedules with "it's not quantity time but quality time". Although there is a degree of truth to this, extended time with your spouse and children can not be replaced with a forced dinner together or a quick few minutes in the car on the way to school. IF YOU ARE A PARENT...FIND TIME TO BE WITH YOUR KIDS. IF YOU ARE MARRIED...FIND TIME TO BE WITH YOUR SPOUSE. Your family is the greatest gift God has given you in this world. Value it.

* God created a beautiful world. Still can't figure out how some people can think this thing called the world all happened by "accident".

* I love my church! I know because I am the pastor I am supposed to say this, but it's so true. I missed the people...the worship...the opportunity of seeing guests come in. I love the opportunity to create a church where unchurched people want to come. It's such a challenge...but so rewarding!

So, there they are. My random thoughts from vacation.

Well, that's it for now. Have a great week and if you are in Chattanooga, come join us for the conclusion of "5 Things God Uses to Grow Your Faith" this Sunday. You won't regret it!

Heath

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just realized how selfish I was being in my marriage just thinking of myself. You are right....love your spouse, children, God and others. I am thankful to be reading this post because this is what Jesus is showing me in my life right now. Awsome!

Scott Moncrief said...

Heath - Thank you for posting this!!! I couldn't agree anymore with hearing you share how we all need to simply slow down in life and lets NOT forget why we're here!!!

Johnny said...

Hey Heath- Just got back from vacation myself, but realized I am already guilty of spinning out of control again. Thanks for the reminder. Good word...