Thursday, June 4, 2009

TEXTing

OK, so most of you when you read this post title, you thought of texting via your phone or handheld device. But I'm using this phrase in conjunction with our series currently going on at Rock Point. The series is called TEXT and we're talking about diving into the TEXT that God has given us...His Word...the Bible. I personally believe that the Bible is not just a compilation of a lot great writings from a lot of great people. I believe that it is God's written word for us...even thousands of years after it was penned. It is incredibly rich with wisdom...poetry...drama...redemption...love...etc. TEXTing in this context means to read the text...the Bible...which doesn't always mean you totally understand it. Anything that has ever stretched me or I have grown after reading, was not completely comprehendible the first time I read it. But it was so worth it when I immersed myself into it.

This book...the Bible...is alive. It will change you if you read it. So how about it?
If you choose this challenge, let me give you a few places to start.

Step #1 - Get a Bible. I recommend something that is readable in our language today. I prefer the NIV version, but there are a lot of great translations. Yeah, the "thees and thous" from the KJV are very poetic, but I don't know how many of my friends speak like that today. (FYI - that version is a translation as well.)

Step #2 - Pick a time and place. Just like reading a good book, it's probably not the best idea to try and read the Bible with a lot of distractions.

Step #3 - Read it. Below are a weeks worth of reading if that helps you know where to start. All Bibles have a place in the front which helps you know where the individual books are found. (Ex. Matthew, Isaiah, Psalms, etc) Use this. It will help you if you need it.

Monday: Psalm 1

Tuesday: Psalm 119:9-16

Wednesday: Psalm 119:33-37

Thursday: Psalm 119:97-104

Friday: Proverbs 2:1-6

That's pretty much it! Now you can take this as deep as you want to, but for those who have never even given the TEXT a try, this will help you get started.

So pick it up...read it...you won't regret it!

Heath

1 comment:

j67221c said...

Even though we have only heard part one of this series it has already had a positive impact on how much time I spend reading of the Bible. I find myself looking forward to it more than ever before and I have been given the opportunity this week to share the "reading schedule" with some of my co-workers. So awesome to think that the God of this wrote to us!