Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Moment in Beijing



So, I really haven't been to Beijing, but I recently have been totally engrossed in the Olympics. Something about seeing some of the best athletes in the world competing against each other is really amazing to watch. Being on the other side of the world hasn't helped much since all of the great "live" footage takes place late at night, but I guess that's what coffee is for the following morning!

A few nights ago I watched one of the most incredible races I have ever seen. The French were expected to win the men's 4 x 100m relay and they had even been talking some trash about crushing the USA men's team. The commentators kept bragging about the strength of the French team and how if they had the lead, their anchor swimmer would not give it up. As it turned out, that scenario played out perfectly. Coming into the last 50m of the race, the French had a lead and it looked like the USA would come in with a Silver medal. But then something absolutely amazing happened! Jason Lezak, the anchor leg of the USA men's team, began coming from behind and eventually passed the French at the wall for the gold. I leapt into the air and pumped my fist with a resounding, "YES!" I felt like I was right there in the stands cheering them on. What an awesome race!

Why was I so excited with this race and not as much for the other ones? I had watched several races and I loved seeing my team win, but there was something in that come from behind moment...when their back was against the wall...that I rose to my feet yelling, "Go! Go! Go!"

You know, I think that God allows some things to happen like that in our lives as well. That we sometimes are faced with incredibly difficult situations and our backs are against the wall. The easy response in those moments is, "Yeah, this one has definitely defeated me". But I think our Creator, our greatest cheerleader, is saying, "Go! Go! Go! You can do it! I am right there with you!"

Isaiah 41:10
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you.

What a big God, huh?!

No comments: