Monday, August 4, 2008

Is a Donut Worth the Wait?


A few weeks back I had the privilege of taking my 6 year old daughter to Krispy Kreme donuts. If you have never had one of these before, it's a must to try sooner than later. Sure, they sell these at your local grocery store, but there is nothing better than getting one fresh at the bakery...especially if the "Hot" sign is on. The "Hot" sign means that the donuts have just come out fresh and absolutely melt in your mouth!!

So here was our dilemma. When we arrived at the Krispy Kreme, the "Hot" sign was not on. So when I asked when they might turn it on again, I was told it would be about 20 minutes. Wow! That's a long time to wait for a donut. So I asked Kailey what she wanted to do, she said, "I want to wait!" They had some older donuts there in the case and we could have gotten one of them easily and hit the road. So much we could do in 20 minutes!...but we waited.

20 minutes later out came the hot donuts and we devoured them! Not only was the donut so amazing, but the expression on my little girls face was so priceless. Was it ever worth the wait!!

I guess this night God taught me a little something about patience. That sometimes the great things in life you have to wait for. This is very difficult in church planting. We want to fill our seats immediately and wonder what's going on when that doesn't happen. We want something to happen now and it if doesn't we take it under our wing and try to get things rolling. But as God reminded me that night, when we are patient and faithful, amazing things can happen. How often I forget to wait on His timing. How about you?

No comments: