Friday, March 27, 2009

My Peruvian Experience - Part 2

Well, it's been almost 3 weeks since I have been back from my trip to Peru and although some of the emotion has worn off, (pretty typical I hear), I still can't get some of the little faces I saw out of my head. There is something about children that naturally touches your heart and these children grabbed mine and haven't let go. As I have been reflecting on the trip, I thought I might put down some of the thoughts I had after returning. Not sure where all of this fits, but sometimes clarity comes out of randomness...

* First of all, we were treated like Rock Stars! I'm not sure if it was because we were visitors from America or they saw us as representing all who assist them with their daily necessities. It was absolutely amazing the treatment we received from the children as well as those who worked with the church. I was humbled by this. Pretty big responsibility.

* Gifts in this life are not always tangible. I witnessed a mother play peekaboo with her child (an act she apparently did not know how to do with her previous children), and the joy on her face and her child's spoke volumes. She merely enjoyed the presence of this gift (her child) and the child enjoyed the discovery of his mother. I learned from this lady that day.

* I need to stop using the word "need" so much...Most often I interchange "want" with "need". Not that wants are all bad either...I just need to be more honest with myself about it. I have witnessed true need and it's not how I use it.

Also, I have finally finished a highlight video of the trip. These are the faces I can't get out of my head...and I hope I never do.

Heath

1 comment:

Mark said...

Heath,

What a great video! God is really amazing, and we have the opportunity to share and give and participate in the lives of others like these dear children in Peru. Now, it is our responsibility to lead them and others in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ!

I'm with you man!